About the PhD Programs
Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) admits PhD students in the research areas of all academic departments.
All PhD programs are offered in English.
Students with a Master’s degree are expected to complete their PhD program within 4 years.
SUSTech Presidential PhD Fellowships
SUSTech offers the Presidential PhD Fellowship to full-time PhD students with excellent research potential. This prestigious Fellowship provides a basic annual stipend of RMB80,000 plus a performance-based award of RMB20,000 per year for around 50% of the Fellowship holders for a maximum period of 4 years.
Criteria for Presidential PhD Fellowships
1. Applicants must possess a Master’s degree.
2. Applicants should have graduated from a leading university in a country/region, and have demonstrated outstanding potential for research excellence.
3. Communication and interpersonal skills as well as leadership abilities are also important criteria for the selection of Fellowship recipients.
4. English language requirements: TOEFL 80 or above; or IELTS 6.0 overall or above, with no sub-scores lower than 5.5.
Tuition and Accommodation Fees
Tuition fee: RMB10,000 per year
Accommodation fee: RMB 1,300 per year for a single room in the graduate student dormitories.
The fees listed above are for reference and are subjected to adjustment from time to time.
SUSTech PhD Programs cover 14 departments. Please visit the departmental websites for details of SUSTech supervisors and research areas. Departmental contacts for enquiries and receiving applications are listed below.
How to Apply
1. Application deadline:
March 31, 2019. Please email the application documents to departmental contacts listed above. Subject of email: Application for SUSTech PhD Admission 2019 – International Student – Name.
2. Application Documents (PDF version):
(1) Application Form (Please download the “Application form-SUSTech PhD” fromhttp://gs.sustc.edu.cn/zhaoshengQ&A)
(2) Personal Statement, in Chinese or English, which should include study and work experience, reasons for application and study proposal. No fewer than 1500 words.
(3) Degree certificates and academic transcripts, which must be original documents or notarized copies. If applicants are university students, they shall also provide an official pre-graduation certificate/letter showing their student status and stating the expected graduation date. For all documents in languages other than Chinese or English, notarized copies of translations in Chinese or English need to be provided.
(4) Photocopies of language proficiency certificates.
(5) Two letters of recommendation with appropriate contact details, in Chinese or English.
(6) A photocopy of passport.
(7) Other documents that prove academic abilities.
Departments may require hard copies of the above documents. Application materials will NOT be returned regardless of the result of application.
Evaluation and Admission
Applications will be considered on the basis of the documents provided by the applicants. An interview and/or additional tests may be needed.
Offer letters will be issued to the successful applicants by the SUSTech Graduate Admission Office following the release of the application outcomes.
Visa Application and Registration
Admitted students should bring their personal and ordinary passport, Certificate of Admission, Visa Application Form (JW202/JW201), as well as other documents as required to the Embassy or Consulate of the People’s Republic of China for a student visa (X1 visa). Students shall come to SUSTech for registration during the dates indicated by the Admission package with the required documents. Normally, the registration period is in late August. Students must enter China with an ordinary passport and an X1 visa, and must apply for a Residence Permit within 30 days of arrival in China.
All students should present the necessary original or notarial degree certificates upon registration at SUSTech for enrollment qualification review. Students who fail the enrollment qualification review will be disqualified from enrollment.
SUSTech Graduate School
Graduate School webpage: http://gs.sustc.edu.cn/
SUSTech webpage: http://sustc.edu.cn/en