SMA Postdoctoral Fellowship 2019
SMA Postdoctoral Fellowship 2019
The application process for Submillimeter Array (SMA) Postdoctoral Fellowships starting Fall 2020 opens on August 15, 2019 with a deadline of October 10, 2019.
These positions are aimed chiefly at research in submillimeter astronomy, and successful candidates will participate either in observations with the SMA, research in their interpretation, or instrument development.
Join your social media group to get frequent updates on Scholarships
The SMA is a collaboration between the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory and the Academia Sinica Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics in Taipei, Taiwan.
The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer where all qualified applicants receive equal consideration without regard to race, color, creed, national origin or gender.
Requirements: SMA Postdoctoral Fellows are expected to propose and participate in scientific research programs that make use of the unique capabilities of the SMA in high angular resolution submillimeter astrophysics. Applicants must outline their research interests involving the SMA.
Applicants must have a PhD in astronomy or a related field by the time their Fellowship begins. Application information and instructions can be found on our Applications page. Questions can be directed to [email protected]. Online applications for the 2020 Fellowships are due October 10, 2019. We expect to announce opportunies for the 2021 Fellowships in late summer, 2020.
Academic Background: Applicants must have a recent Ph.D. in astronomy or a related field. Practical experience with millimeter or submillimeter wavelength astronomy, radio interferometry, instrumentation, or experience in any applicable branch of astrophysical theory is desirable.
- Stipend is US$64,000 (for FY 2020)
- Full health insurance coverage
- Up to $4000 for relocation expenses
- plus other benefits
Length of the Award: SMA Postdoctoral Fellowships are awarded for two years, with renewal for a third year likely, contingent upon satisfactory progress.
Online admissions materials due by the deadline:
- Personal Information Section of Online Application
- Four Uploaded Forms in PDF or Text Format: (font not smaller than 12 point)
- Curriculum Vita (may include publication list, esp. submitted or accepted works not yet on ADS)
- Publication List Library in ADS (see application for instructions)
- Summary of Previous and Current Research (up to 4 pages)
- Research Proposal, with SMA interests (up to 2 pages)
- Three Letters of Reference. The steps for submitting a letter are:
- The applicant supplies the name and email of each referee in the application form.
- A message is emailed to each referee, which provides a unique URL. The referee uses that URL to upload the letter.
- Once the reference letter has been uploaded, the applicant will see “Complete” when checking the appropriate area of the application status page.
Please review the FAQ before beginning the online application.
Start Date: Flexible, though SMA Postdoctoral Fellows usually start their appointments October 1 or November 1.
More Postdoctoral Opportunities
- 45+ Postdoc Vacancy in Switzerland
- 32+ Postdoc in University of Copenhagen
- 63 Postdoc Fellowship at ULB Brussels
- 16 Rewire Postdoc Fellowship for Women
Tags : astronomy postdoctoral fellowships, cfa fellowship, harvard physics postdoc fellowship, sma fellowship application, harvard postdoc fellowship, clay fellowship, astronomy postdoc jobs, harvard astronomy postdoc