Last updated on August 6th, 2019 at 08:22 am
Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship
International students with outstanding academic records (*1) who wish to enter Japan in September, 2020 as a new student (*2) to study in the Master’s or Doctoral Program at the Graduate School of Science.
- (*1) An applicant must have university grade points* of 2.30 (out of 3.00) or above in their two most recent years of study and be expected to maintain the same academic standards during the course of the scholarship program.
* Grade points will be calculated according to a formula specified by MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology).
- (*2) Please refer to (10) Non-eligibility 5. to confirm your eligibility.
Applicants must have the nationality of a country with diplomatic relations with the Japanese government. Applicants who have Japanese nationality at the time of application are ineligible. However, Japanese nationals that reside outside of Japan at the time of application, having dual citizenship with another country, and plan on relinquishing their Japanese nationality before arrival, may apply.
Applicants must be born on or after April 2, 1985.
(4) Academic background
Applicants must have the necessary qualifications to be admitted to the Graduate School of Science, the University of Tokyo as a Master’s or a Doctoral Program student.
(5) Field of Study
Applicants must apply for the field of study that they studied at their previous university or a related field.
(7) Scholarship Types
|Type of Scholarship||Number of Recipients||Eligibility: Possible Departments of Enrollment|
|1) International Priority Graduate Program (PGP)||4 Master’s Program students (*3)||Physics, Astronomy, Earth & Planetary Science, Chemistry, Biological Sciences|
|2)General||Master’s or Doctoral Program
0-1 student (tentative)
|Physics, Astronomy, Earth & Planetary Science, Chemistry, Biological Sciences|
(8) Period of Scholarships
(1)For a recipient who will enroll in a Master’s Program or Doctoral Program, the scholarship will be payable for the standard period of time necessary for the recipient to complete his or her program (standard course term), starting from October 2020.
- Master’s Program = October, 2020 – September, 2022 (2years)
- Doctoral Program = October, 2020 – September, 2023 (3years)
(9) Scholarship Amount
144,000 yen/month (for a student of a Master’s Program), or 145,000 yen/month (for a student of a Doctoral Program)(an additional monthly stipend of 2,000 or 3,000 yen may be added to those students undertaking study or research in some designated regions of the country).
(10) Application Period
From October 1 to October 31, 2019
The application must arrive no later than October 31, 2019 without fail.
(11) Application Mailing & Contact Address
Submit the required documents to apply for MEXT Scholarship to International Liaison Office by post in addition to applying for admission into the Graduate School of Science (Master’s/Doctoral Program).
【Mailing address & Contact information】
- International Liaison Office (ILO), Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo
|ADDRESS||Room 278, 2nd floor, School of Science Building 1, Hongo Campus
7-3-1, Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033 JAPAN
Join your social media group to get frequent updates on Scholarships