JAWAHARLAL NEHRU MEMORIAL FUND
JAWAHARLAL NEHRU SCHOLARSHIPS FOR DOCTORAL STUDIES
A. CATEGORIES OF SCHOLARSHIPS
The scholarships are available for Ph.D. study in India to the following two categories of
(1) Indian Nationals
(2) Nationals of other Asian countries
B. AREAS OF SPECIALISATION/SUBJECT
A candidate may apply for scholarship in any one of the following areas of
1. Indian History and Civilization
3. Comparative Studies in Religion & Culture
7. Ecology & Environment
C. ELIGIBILITY CONDITIONS
At the time of submission of the application for scholarship, a candidate should
1. hold a FIRST Class Post-graduate degree with a minimum 60% marks in
aggregate in both graduate and post graduate level,
2. already be registered/admitted for Ph.D. degree with a recognized
University/Institution in India. Those who have applied for registration
and have not yet been registered at the time of submission of application,
are not eligible to apply,
3. not be above 35 years of age,
4. be a full-time Ph.D. Scholar.
D. DURATION OF SCHOLARSHIP
Up to 2 years
E. VALUE OF SCHOLARSHIP FOR BOTH THE CATEGORIES
1. Maintenance allowance including Tuition fee Rs. 18,000 per month
2. Contingent expenses for study tours within
India, purchase of books, stationery, etc. Rs. 15,000 per annum
F. LAST DATE
1. An advertisement is released towards the end of March every year and
completed application forms together with all the necessary enclosures
should reach Administrative Secretary, Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial
Fund, Teen Murti House, New Delhi-110 011 on or before 31 May.
2. The Selection Committee’s decision to call a candidate for interview or
select a candidate for scholarship will be final and no representation in
this regard will be entertained.
3. Shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview any time during
4. The Scholarship will commence from January every year.
The following documents should be securely attached seriatim to the
(1) A passport size photograph of the applicant to be pasted on the form.
(2) A synopsis of the proposed project as per the attached format.
(3) Doctoral Monitoring Committee’s report or Supervisor’s report/
(4) Postal Order/Demand Draft for Rs.100.
(5) Ph.D registration certificate.
Incomplete and unsigned application forms are liable to be rejected.
The Application Form for Jawaharlal Nehru Scholarships can be downloaded from the website.
The amount of Rs.100 is to be paid by Postal Order/Demand Draft drawn in favour of “Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund” payable at New Delhi and should be sent along with the completed application form to reach the Fund office on or before 31 May.