ICIMOD SustaIndus PhD Fellowship
Organization: ICIMOD (International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD)
Terms and Condition
- The position will be executed in a “sandwich” fashion, in partnership between ICIMOD and Utrecht University:
- The PhD researcher will enter a contract agreement with and based at ICIMOD
- The fellow will be registered at Utrecht University
- The fellow will obtain a PhD degree from Utrecht University upon successful completion of the project and successful defence of the PhD thesis
- A scientist from each organization will officially serve as co-advisors for the fellow.
- The fellow will be primarily based at ICIMOD’s headquarters in Kathmandu, Nepal, throughout the duration of fellowship.
- The PhD fellow will spend periods of time at Utrecht University and attend conferences and research team meetings elsewhere outside of Nepal.
- The fellowship period is four years. The fellowship agreement will be on an annual basis, to be renewed every year subject to the fellow’s performance.
- Data and knowledge products generated under this fellowship programme are subject to ICIMOD’s data policy.
- An allowance of USD 1,000 per month will be provided
- Expat PhD Fellows will receive additional USD 200 per month for accommodation and travel cost at the time of joining and repatriation will be reimbursed.
- The PhD fellow will be reimbursed for international travel costs incurred on trips required by the fellowship.
- Postgraduate degree in hydrology, physical geography, civil engineering, or another relevant science, to be completed before 1 May 2019
- Quantitative research skills, including hydrological modelling, remote sensing, and GIS
- Demonstrable programming skills, preferably in R or Python programming language
- Knowledge of the local energy sector, with particular focus on hydropower
- Strong interest in the topics to be investigated under the SustaIndus project, preferably demonstrated by previous work on similar topics
- Strong command of both written and spoken English
- Excellent analytical, technical, and communication skills
- Motivated, communicative, and proactive
- Independent work attitude and positive team spirit
Gender and Equity Policy
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD implements a gender fair policy and is supportive of working women. It operates a Day-Care Centre at the campus and is committed to gender mainstreaming at the organisational and programmatic levels.
Method of application
Applicants are requested to apply online before 25 Apr 2019 through https://www.huc-hkh.org/grant/detail/icimod-sustaindus-phd-fellowship-2019-call-for-application .
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
For more information, please send an email to [email protected] .